[Sci-Fi Month] A Little Look at My SF TBR

Thursday 3 November 2016


A new themed month means another themed TBR, so this time I'm presenting my sci-fi TBR! My sci-fi shelf is one of the biggest shelves on my GR account, so I had a tough time picking out which books I would put on this list. These books here are the ones that I want to read the most, and I more than likely already have a copy of and haven't gotten around to for one reason or another (it's more than likely because i'm forgetful). Because I love sci-fi so much my TBR will be growing all the time because I quite like to read both classic and modern sci-fi.



2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke - I actually DNF'd this book last year because I wasn't sure if it was written before or after the movie was made, but it turns out that it was written while the movie was being made. I'm still not sure on whether to read the book or watch the movie first but it'll be waiting for me.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - One of my favourite books ever is Nineteen Eighty-Four and even though it has absolutely nothing to do with this book, the comparisons between the two that have been made do really interest me. The idea of manipulating society by giving it exactly what it wants rather than taking everything away is fascinating and also terrifying at the same time.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick - I've been told a million times that Blade Runner is an incredible movie, and as per bookworm law, I must read the book first. I haven't read much from Phillip K. Dick apart from one of his short stories, but his novels have interested me for a long time, so I figured that this is a good place to start. Also, I like the album Replicas by Tubeway Army which was inspired by this book.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - I'm not entirely sure if this counts as a science fiction novel, but it is a dystopian novel, and dystopian tends to get lumped into sci-fi so on this list it shall go. I heard of this book around about the same time I read Nineteen Eighty-Four for the first time when I was fourteen, and obviously I needed to read it ASAP. Five years later, and I still haven't read it. At least I now have a copy so that I can get to it any time I want.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - I'm pretty sure that this book is a British institution so the fact that I, a British fan of sci-fi, have not read it is pretty bad.

Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith - I've had this book on my Kindle for so long that I don't actually remember what it's about anymore... But, it is an LGBT+ book from a male POV, which is always a plus for me.

Watchmen by Alan Moore - I needed to put at least one comic on this list, even though I read mostly Batman and there are very few sci-fi elements in Batman comics (mainly because he's technically a detective rather than a superhero, but that's just me being pedantic). However, I was recently given a copy of Watchmen by my mum who works in a school library and there were a few complaints about it being there, so she gave it to me. So far, the only book by Alan Moore that I've read is The Killing Joke and I really enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to this one.

The Martian by Andy Weir - Bookworm's law applies here again. My dad says that the movie is really good, so I have to read the book first.


Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - I absolutely adored Cinder and I'm really behind on this series, so I'm attempting to finally get around to reading Scarlet this month.

The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey - I read The 5th Wave years ago when it first came out and it was one of my favourite books, so I'm shocked at myself for not continuing on with the series.

Sever by Lauren DeStefano - Same goes for The Chemical Garden series. I read the first two books years ago but never got around to finishing the series.

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft - I'm a little hesitant about not just this book, but Lovecraft's entire bibliography since it's become very apparent that he was racist. I usually do my very best to separate art from artist, but when the artist is said to put their bigoted views into their work it can be hard to do that. From what I've read, Lovecraft did incorporate his racism into his work, so I'm placing his work on the "maybe" TBR for now.

What sci-fi books are on your TBR? Also, if you're participating in Sci-Fi Month too, let me know so I can keep up with your posts!

© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.