10 Real + Fictional Bookish Places on My Travel Wishlist ✈️

Tuesday 5 December 2017

Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Like most people, I like going to new places. I don't like the process of actually getting there because it puts my nerves on red alert, but going to new places and exploring is nice. But anyway, since we're all bookish people here, I can sort of go ahead and assume that we all have bookish places that we would want to visit on our travels. money permitting, that is.

So, for today's top ten I decided that I would split this list into two so that I have real places and also fictional places that I want to visit. Because the real world isn't that scary. Sometimes.


Edinburgh, Scotland, UK - I've been to Edinburgh a million times at this point in my life because it is one of my favourite places in the whole world, but I'd never take it off of a bookish travel wishlist because there are still a lot of things I haven't done. I've only walked past The Elephant House once, have never been to the Writers Museum, and I've never been to the Book Festival. That's pretty shocking considering that it takes three hours by car for me to get to Edinburgh.

Salem, Massachusetts, USA - This may be because I'm watching American Horror Story while writing this post, but I've had an interest in Salem since I studied The Crucible in my second year of university. I didn't actually think too much of the play, but I have been interested in the history of the actual witch trials for some time now.

Barter Books, Alnwick, Northumberland, UK - I have no excuse for not having been to this shop because Alnwick is about an hour and a half away from where I live. My parents have offered to take me twice now but both times I've been asleep. Because I'm terrible.

Shakespeare and Co., Paris, France - Paris is another place I've been to a million times but I've never been to this shop because either I couldn't find it due to my horrendous map-reading skills, or the people I was with just couldn't be bothered to help me find it because it involves a lot of walking. I'll get to it someday, though. I hope.

Tokyo, Japan - A little fact about me is that when I was in my early teens, I was a weeaboo. One of the pretending-to-be-Japanese-and-inserting-random-Japanese-words-into-English-sentences-without-having-a-full-understanding-of-the-culture variety. I do still like Japanese culture but more in a respectful way. But anyway, I feel like every person who likes anime/manga has wanted to visit Tokyo at some point in my life and I still do because I've never been to Asia and I really want to. Plus, there's a lot of places in Tokyo that are featured in Japanese pop culture.


Henrietta, Virginia, The Raven Boys - I've actually been to Virginia once, but it turns out that the Henrietta of The Raven Cycle isn't real. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to go there because it sounds like such a cute place. I'm not much of an outdoorsy person but I would definitely be outside all the time here.

Earth, Dragon Ball - Hear me out, the Earth in the Dragon Ball series is not the same as our Earth. Our countries don't exist and it's both old and futuristic at the same time and the King of the whole planet is an anthropomorphic dog. Just go along with it. There's also alien invaders and killer robots and a race of people who can turn into giant monkeys if they still have tails, but I'd still live there. It's probably better than our Earth. Our Earth doesn't have magical balls that summon a dragon that grants wishes.

Wherever the heck Uglies is set - Okay, I know that this is a dystopian world but forced cosmetic surgery aside, the technology just sounds really frickin' cool. The idea of dehydrated food really makes my stomach turn, though.

Coldtown, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Would it be reckless of me to go to a coldtown in the hopes of getting bitten and becoming a vampire? Probably. Would I still do it? Absolutely. I wasn't too keen on this book, but I did love the idea of vampires being quarantined from human society. Plus, I want to be a vampire because getting old is horrifying.

Themiscyra, Wonder Woman - Who would not want to go to Themiscyra? There's no war, nobody gets sick, nobody really dies, it sounds awesome. The only downside is that you can't leave and if you do, you can't come back.

What bookish places do you want to visit?
© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.