On Leaving My Comfort Zone

Monday 6 October 2014

As much as I'd love to believe that my tastes in genres are incredibly varied, I definitely have a comfort zone, and that's okay because the vast majority of us have comfort zones. But one thing I've noticed recently is that when I'm not doing my required reading for university, I tend to stick to two main genres: science-fiction and contemporary fiction. I didn't actually notice how far I was nestled into this comfort zone until I was picking out books and films to review for this month because I've never been the biggest horror fan due to the fact that I'm really easily scared (this won't be the last time that you'll see me say that).

gif by fyspringfield
(literally me with anything scary)

So if I'm a huge baby who gets scared of things really easily, why am I doing a horror themed month? The thing is, I don't want to ease myself out of my comfort zone because that doesn't always work for me. No, what I want to do is to completely break out of my comfort zone and explore a genre that in the past I've completely avoided after hearing the word 'scary' just once.

Like I said above, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a comfort zone, it's a good thing to return to whenever I'm not feeling too great, but there are plenty of times where I've been in my zone for way too long and everything just feels the same to me. A while back I found that this was sort of the case with dystopian fiction, and it got a bit stale to me. Recently I've been hooked on contemporary but I'm starting to get just a little bit bored of that too. The nights are getting darker and it's getting colder outside and I'm wanting to read books that remind me of that, which is something that I don't usually do.

What I like about choosing to explore a genre outside of my comfort zone, is discovering books that I probably wouldn't have even given a passing glance to, and even finding out that a genre isn't actually as bad as I'd initially judged it to be. My aim from this Halloween month is to expand my horizons even more with my reading (and viewing) habits, and I'm definitely excited about that. Who knows, I might even branch out into the other genre that I tend to stay away from (it's fantasy, in case you didn't know)!

Do you have a 'comfort zone'? Are you fine staying in it, or do you like to leave it every now and again?

4 comments

  1. My comfort zones: Fantasy + fairytales & retellings. No matter how many books I read in those genres, I can't get enough of it. The magic, the mystical creatures, the amazing worlds - or the happily ever afters, I always want more :)

    But I'm a pretty easy reader. I like almost everything. Contemporary is the most out of my comfort zone. I've read about.. 4 of them this year and they were great, but I'm very critical about the ones I pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely have a comfort zone, although over the years it changed and nowadays I feel like more and more genres are included in my comfort zone. I also have some authors who's writing style feels like a comfort zone. And there are still some genres I am not a big fan off, horror is one of them. I don't mind mildly scary books, but not the reall scary ones.
    Have you read Ghost Hand by Ripley Patton? It's marketed as a Paranormal Thriller, but it's not too scary. And the best thing? It's free on amazon and Kobo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to stick to horror and the odd tales, if not surreal. It's not that I don't want to stay away from my comfort zone. I guess it's more of the fact that I am such a picky reader. Lol. But I do try to read something I normally wouldn't and sometimes, I end up liking the books. I'm planning to read "Etiquette & Espionage" by Gail Carriger, since it's something I wouldn't normally read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a very eclectic reader so I don't really have a reading comfort zone. I love everything from horror to steampunk to PNR and YA, and just about everything in between! Well except for chick lit. I don't do chick lit. Period. lol :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read every single one I receive and make sure to return as many as possible ❤️ If you want me to participate in a tag feel free to tag me (no awards, though, please)!

© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.