10 Books on My Autumn 2017 TBR 🍂

Tuesday 19 September 2017

Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Click here for the list of prompts.

It'll finally be the autumn equinox on Friday which means that my power will finally start to rise again! And yes, I know that everyone else classifies it as autumn as soon as it becomes September, but I don't because it's still warm at the beginning of September and the leaves are still green. Also, calendars were invented by people so I rely on nature to tell me when the seasons are changing. Ahem.

Towards the end of the year I like to match what I read to the weather outside and also any events that are taking place. For example, I read horror and paranormal books in October because it'll be Halloween, and in November I read sci-fi books for Sci-Fi Month, which you should totally join if you love science fiction (clicketyclick). And then in December I like to read fantasy books because they're quite thick and where am I going to be going in December? To bed, that's where. But anyways, this post is about autumn and what I'm going to be reading then while most likely replacing my blood with Pumpkin Spice Lattes.




Lois Lane: Double Down by Gwenda Bond - This is my last book on my September TBR and I actually can't wait to read it 😍 I've raved about the first Lois book plenty of times since I read and I'm so excited to carry on with this series because Lois Lane!!! As a teenager!!! Being awesome!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Carrie by Stephen King - Every October I tell myself that I am going to finish a Stephen King book (usually The Shining) and I never do for some reason. This year to make it a little easier on myself, I'm planning to read Carrie which is one of his shorter books. I do know what happens at the end (just like I do with The Shining) which is mildly annoying but I am still excited to read it.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black - Here's another book that I tell myself that I'm going to read every October and then end up putting it down. October is usually a hectic month for me and life always gets in the way of my reading, but because I will have all the time in the world to myself I'm determined to finally get through this book. It's about vampires, how could I not? And my copy is signed so of course I'm going to read it.

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty - This book has been advertised as "the scariest book ever written" so you bet I have extremely high expectations for it. I'm not quite brave enough to watch the movie version, but horror books don't really scare me so hopefully I'll be able to make it out in one piece and with my nerves intact.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson - If I don't read at least one Gothic book, is it truly Spooky Time? Probably, but for this year I want to read at least one Gothic book in October and I only have two on my shelves that I haven't read and this one is the shortest. I may squeeze in the other one if I manage to, but this one will be more of a priority. I didn't study Gothic literature three times to just never read it ever again. It is my duty as an academic spooky person
(image source)
Just imagine this is me dancing at a Halloween party. Or a normal party. 


Forever Odd by Dean Koontz - It's been a good few years since I read Odd Thomas but I did buy most of the rest of the series with the intention of marathoning them, and then just never did. I'm not even sure why because I liked the first book and bought the second one almost straight after. But since I'm now on an enforced book buying ban (i'm completely broke) I'm going to read books I've had for ages and I've had this book on my TBR for ages, so it'll be perfect for Spooky Month.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick - There are four main reasons why I want to read this book soon: 1) It's been on my TBR for ages 2) I really want to watch Blade Runner 3) There's a TV series based on Dick's short stories coming soon 4) I've been wanting to read Dick's novels for years and this feels like a good place to start. Sci-Fi Month is one of my favourite times of the year and this year I want to try to read more "classic" sci-fi books that I own that I couldn't make room for on this list.

Sever by Lauren DeStefano - According to Goodreads, the last time I read a book in this series was 2012. Yikes. I may have a fair bit of rereading to do, but since I'm lazy, have other things I want to read, and quite frankly don't like rereading, I'll just read the recaps and jump right into Sever. I don't really like having unfinished series so now feels like a good time to finally finish it.

This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner - Another series I haven't finished! I am way behind everyone else with this series because I read the first book when it came out but then never caught up with the rest of it. I have the books for aesthetic purposes but I do still want to read them.

Lois Lane: Triple Threat by Gwenda Bond - Oh, look, it's Lois again! I'm not actually sure if these books can properly be classified as sci-fi because they take place in a contemporary setting but have sci-fi elements to them, but I will always make an exception for Lois because I love her and I want to be her when I grow up.

(image source)

What's on your autumn TBR? Or your spring TBR if you're in the Southern Hemisphere? Are you a seasonal reader like me, or do you just go with the flow? Am I the only person who classifies seasons by equinoxes or does everyone else go by the calendar?
© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.