Back to School Book Blogger Challenge: Day 5 - Where My Love of Reading Came from

Friday 22 August 2014

Back to School Book Blogger Challenge

Day 5 - Share your own story about what or who fostered the love of reading in yourself.

I've always liked reading in some way since I was little, and I have my parents to thank for that since my mum taught me how to read herself when I was two. I actually don't remember not being able to read and write, and that's all down to my mum. I've also got to give credit to my dad too for building me bookshelves in my room and agreeing to let me have so many books (my dad's not a big fiction reader, but he'll happily sit and read maps or instruction manuals or non-fiction) and even letting me borrow some of his.

However, the person who really got me to love reading was my secondary school librarian. I used to go to the fortnightly book club in the library after school (it just fizzled out for some reason or another), and there I was introduced to all sorts of books that I'd never heard of before. At my school you had to be in year 10 before you could read books that had a "senior" label on them, unless the librarian knew you pretty well, and I was taking out those books when I was in year 9, which introduced me into even more titles. In fact, school is where I first started reading YA books and even though very few of my friends read, I still had someone to talk about books with in our school librarian.

Another influence on me would be my year nine English teacher (who I know I'll be talking about again in this challenge), the way she influenced me is in my love of not only reading, but studying literature. She made English both fun and challenging at the same time, and showed me that there is never one truly right answer when you're analysing a text. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be studying for an English degree.

How about you? How did your love of reading come about?

2 comments

  1. Librarians are awesome! I remember many who I would talk to about books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool that your mom taught you when you were so young! :) And I think that your dad rocks for building book shelves for you as well. ;)

    Back To School
    Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read every single one I receive and make sure to return as many as possible ❤️ If you want me to participate in a tag feel free to tag me (no awards, though, please)!

© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.