Stacking the Shelves: August 2014

Sunday 31 August 2014

Stacking the Shelves is a book haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews.

Hey guys, guess what. It was my birthday yesterday!


Yesterday I took a day trip to Edinburgh with my family for my birthday, and I had the most awesome of times until we got in the car to go home. Not because of the fact that we were going home, but because I was ill. Like really bad. Something I ate didn't really agree with me, and you really didn't need to know that whoops.

What else have I been up to this month? Well, my room got redecorated and I FINALLY HAVE BOOKSHELVES OMG. I got one for my books, and another for DVDs and games, and everything fits on them. This hasn't happened in the longest of times. I'd have a picture here, but I'm too lazy. Oh well.

Also, I've been doing a lot of planning for October, which is when I'm planning on having a horror themed month. So far, it's not anything huge because this is the first time I've done something like this. I already have two posts scheduled, and I've still got a lot of planning to do. I'm totally solid for reviews, but if anybody would like to do any guest posts, just give me a bell with what you have in mind!

Anyways, let's see what goodies I got this month!

Click the covers to be taken to the Goodreads page!
Bought:


I haven't bought enough books to do one of these posts in such a long time, it feels good to finally have a full haul for once. Anways, I've been in quite a bit of a contemporary kick lately, and I picked up four contemporaries this month. Yeah. I think since summer is pretty much over now for me (as in the season of summer which up here it felt like we barely even had), so that little kick is waning a little bit. I'll be back into my eclectic reading tastes soon enough! I've also been wanting to get back into reading comics, so I got a copy of Arkham Asylum, which I've been wanting to read forever because 1. Batman (I'm a DC girl, but I do like the occasional Marvel film) and 2. Grant Morrison is one of my favourite comic writers (I actually got two books by him this month). I now have a designated comics shelf, which may just be filling up soon.


Gifted:

I can't remember the last time I actually got books for my birthday. I really can't. That's usually because my parents don't know what to get me, or if I do tell them they just forget. I finally got copies of Kingdom Come and All Star Superman after having been wanting to read them for years, and my parents also tried to surprise me with a copy of The Dead Zone but I could see through the bag when they got it. Oops. I'd read about a third of it a few years ago and never finished it for some reason (I didn't hate it, I just never finished it), and after searching for ages for it, they went and got me it anyway. And also, I've been trying to give fantasy a bit of a chance recently (I am definitely not a fantasy person. I couldn't even get through The Hobbit), and Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a book that I constantly see being recommended so I figured 'why not give it a go?' Fingers crossed that I like it!

So what did you get me for my birthday? Just kidding!
What books did you get? Leave me a link and I'll pop by!

5 comments

  1. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!

    I liked Splintered, I need to read Unhinged soon. Everyone is raving about Open Road Summer (and Since you've been gone too) I LOVE Daughter of smoke and bone, especially the second book.

    I hope you are feeling better now and happy reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I see so many fantastic books here, many that I really need to get around to reading. Enjoy :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear you got ill on your birthday, but I am glad to hear you had a fun day beside that! You got some awesome books this week, I really enjoyed Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! Splintered and Daughter of Smoke and Bone are both sooooo good! Great haul!
    Check out my STS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read every single one I receive and make sure to return as many as possible ❤️ If you want me to participate in a tag feel free to tag me (no awards, though, please)!

© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.