Spooky Movies I Plan to Watch This October

Friday 2 October 2015


It's October! And do you know what October means for me? It means that it's time for me to grow a spine and watch some scary movies. Well, some are scary, some are just spooky or morbid in nature, but that's okay too! Tis the season, after all. Now, I'm not a big fan of horror movies, and I don't really like being scared because I'm a huge impressionable baby, but I will try my best to get through this very, very long list.

And just a heads up: some of these movies will be sci-fi movies too, because horror and sci-fi do tend to overlap sometimes into a wonderful hybrid genre.


MOVIES I'M REWATCHING



I watched this movie last year, and holy crap is it good. I knew that this movie was going to be scary, there's no doubt that it is, but I wasn't expecting it to be so good. The sequels didn't really impress me as much as the first one did (especially Aliens, which is supposed to be better than the first one), but I can definitely watch Alien over and over again. Also, I want to be Ripley when I grow up.


Not a horror movie, but it's good blood and nasty stuff in it, so I will be watching it. Also, Christian Bale's butt is in this, which is not nasty, but it is glorious. I've read the book of this movie and chances are if there was a movie that was word for word the same as the book, I probably wouldn't watch it out of sheer nausea fuel. If you're curious, go for it. If you're particularly faint-hearted just take my word for it, the book is nasty af.


Dracula is one of my favourite books ever, and this is the movie that follows it as closely as possible. Obviously there are a couple of things here and there that are different, but if you want a movie that shares the same plot/characters as the book, then this is the one to go for. I still have yet to watch the Hammer movies with Christopher Lee, though. I'm actually making it a goal of mine to watch as many Dracula movies as I can. It'll take me a long time but I'm determined to do it.


Hey, look! A movie that isn't in English! Is this a horror movie? Personally, I consider it to be one considering that Godzilla himself is a prehistoric monster. Yeah. Anyways, if you're not into black and white movies, or foreign language movies you might struggle with this one, but it's all worth it in the end.


I am completely unashamed to say that the reason why I watched this movie in the first place is because I am a pretty big fan of Anton Yelchin. I will watch anything that has him in it, even if it's only for a few seconds (i watched both Smurfs movies for him, that's how serious i am). Also, vampires. I fucking love vampires.


Is this movie scary? That's up to you, I guess. Personally, I don't find Psycho scary, but it is super tense. Just try to relax while watching that shower scene. I bet you can't. I can't, and I've seen it a million times now. I still haven't read the book yet, but I will get around to it soon!


I'm not a fan of musicals, but I do really like Sweeney Todd. Yeah, the singing isn't great, but it's morbid and there's lots of blood so that makes up for it in heaps. I kinda want to see more morbid things set in Victorian times, because it was so much easier to get away with shit back in those days.


TOM HIDDLESTON, TILDA SWINTON, AND JOHN HURT AS VAMPIRES. You're welcome.


This movie is one that I really love, but it is so loosely based on the book that it's almost a different story altogether. But that really doesn't matter because Bela Lugosi's portrayal of Count Dracula is so hammy that it's glorious. He's not the best, but he's definitely the portrayal that sticks out in your mind.


The plot of this movie goes the same as the one for Dracula: it's barely the same as the book. In fact, this movie is so different from the book that I've told people who are studying Frankenstein to stay away from it until they've finished studying the book. There's technically only three characters from the book in the movie (The Monster, Elizabeth, and Victor whose name has been changed to Henry for some reason (short for Heinrich, probably to make it sound more German, even though the book takes place in and around Geneva, where the language is French)), and even the Monster's appearance is drastically different (the whole green-skinned, flat-headed monster with bolts in its neck look came from this movie. in the book he looks nothing like that at all). But y'know what? It doesn't really matter to me because I didn't watch this movie to see the novel play out exactly the same, I watched this one for entertainment value, which I got plenty of. Also, here's something I've wondered for a while now: why do people say "Dr. Frankenstein", when Frankenstein didn't have a medical degree? Maybe he does have one in this movie, but in the book he doesn't. Hmm...


Want a fun fact? In the book Frankenstein, the Monster demands that Frankenstein creates a mate for him, and Frankenstein initially agrees to do it, but once after contemplating that these two things could possibly reproduce and create weird little babies, he decides to rip it to pieces, so no bride for the Monster. Obviously that doesn't happen in this movie because it's a sequel to the first movie. But, that aside, this is a pretty darn good movie. We get to see more of the Monster and finally get to hear him speak and become more fleshed out, which is always a good thing. Also, you know who Mary Shelley shares her birthday with? Me. The more you know.


This is the only Universal Monsters movie I own that is a completely original story, and while it's not my favourite, I do still enjoy it. Again, because this is a horror movie from the 40s, the performances are wonderfully hammy to the point that the movie isn't really all that scary by modern standards. I might watch the 2010 remake of it someday, but that really depends on how brave I feel.

NEW-TO-ME MOVIES



I grew up watching The Batman (which I only own the first season of on DVD because for some reason Warner Bros. never released the rest of the series outside of the US, and I'm still annoyed about it) and I'm very surprised that I haven't seen this movie. I've never seen it broadcast on TV and I can't find it on DVD anywhere, so I'm determined to track this movie down and finally watch it.


Last year I reviewed the first Predator movie and labelled it as the "biggest sausage fest I've ever seen" and that statement still stands. However, I'm not keen on leaving franchises unfinished and I have a slight case of bile fascination with this movie, so it's definitely one that I'm wanting to watch.


No, you're not being Punk'd. I haven't seen Ghostbusters. Out of all the movies I've listed in this post, this movie is my top priority. I really should've seen it by now.


Parody movies aren't something that particularly excite me these days because I'm not a middle-schooler and I'm also not a boy, but I saw the first two Scary Movie installments listed on Netflix, so I figured "eh, why not".


Are you seeing a pattern here yet? I really, really, really like vampires. Like, really.


I'm not the biggest Tarantino fan, considering that I've only seen three of his movies, but I've been wanting to see Death Proof for quite some time now. It doesn't sound like an ordinary style of horror movie, which is probably why I want to watch it.


To be 100% completely honest, I don't like zombies. At all. They just bore me and I tend to stay away from anything that features them. However, this movie was released along with Death Proof as a double feature in Grindhouse, so it seems fitting to watch this one too. I'd actually prefer to watch both of them as Grindhouse because it's got a bunch of fake trailers right in the middle.


No, not the TV show, I mean the movie starring Michael J. Fox, which looks so gloriously cheesy despite the fact that I don't really like werewolves. I can't really explain why, but werewolves just don't interest me at all. Unless they play basketball, that is.


Another Anton Yelchin movie, and one that I have read the book for. I've had this in my Netflix list for about a year now, so I've got to watch this before it's gone.


They always say that the original is better and I've always been sceptical of that claim, so it's up to me to find out.


Gerard Butler as Dracula. I don't have anything else to say.

What spooky movies do you plan to watch? 
Feel free to throw any recommendations at me!

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read every single one I receive and make sure to return as many as possible ❤️ If you want me to participate in a tag feel free to tag me (no awards, though, please)!

© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.