Top 10 Books That Celebrate Diversity

Tuesday 21 July 2015

Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Wanna know a secret? I really, really struggled with making this list. I really did. Obviously, I am in desperate need of more diverse books to read. (i will probably be putting pretty pictures into these posts in the future, but i couldn't here because i don't own all of these physically :/)


Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld - I am in 100% support of queer Indian girls. Especially those who write incredibly imaginative books.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - I haven't read this book in over a year and I think I'm definitely in the mood for a re-read now. Or even to just watch the movie.

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian - About 98% of the characters in this book are white, but Lilia and her family aren't, so I guess it counts? (Also, Kat comes from a poor-ish family, and there's a spoiler about Mary so I can't really say.)

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han - I'm currently reading this book (which features a Korean-American MC) and so far so goof!

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan - So far, this is the only M/M romance I've read, and I didn't even finish it :/ Yeah, it was all just a little too sweet and rainbow-ish if you know what I mean.


Cinder by Marissa Meyer - Finally, a futuristic setting that isn't America!

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan - But wait, isn't this a straight romance?  Nick's in a queercore band despite not being gay himself, so there's quite a few gay dudes in this book.

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - At first I included this book because Eleanor comes from a particularly poor family, but then I remembered that Park's mother is Korean. Swish!

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins - Lola's two dads were easily two of the best characters in this book. I need more gay parents in YA!

M or F? by Lisa Papademetriou and Chris Tebbets - Okay, if you've never heard of this book before, I'm going to ask you a question: What do you think this book is about? If you answered gender identity, you thought the same thing I did at first. It's actually not, but that's okay! (basic rundown: frannie is straight, while her best friend marcus is gay. frannie likes a guy called jeffrey but is too shy to talk to him, so marcus does instead, which leads jeffrey into thinking that marcus is actually frannie. get it? got it? good because no spoilers y'all.)

Have you read any of these books? Also, tell me some of your favourite diverse books! I'm in desperate need of reading more >.<
© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.